Application for review

If you think the wrong decision has been made about your workers compensation claim or your return to work rights, you can apply for a review of the decision by SAET.

What do I need to do?

To apply for a review of the decision by SAET, you should complete an application and gather information to support your application.

You may wish to seek advice from a lawyer, or a representative who is employed by an industrial association, to help with your application.

The application must be lodged using the online form available on the SAET Forms page.

You have one month to lodge the form after you receive notice of the decision you want to have reviewed. If it is not lodged within that time, you will have to apply to SAET for an extension.

The SAET Registry staff can help you complete the form. However, staff cannot suggest the likelihood of your case succeeding, or offer legal advice.

What can I expect?

When your application is lodged, the SAET Registry will

  • send a copy to the compensating authority and the other relevant party (employer/worker).
  • allocate your case to a SAET Commissioner.

If the other relevant party (employer/worker) wants to participate in the proceedings by attending all conferences and hearings, they will need to lodge a Notice to be Heard.

The compensating authority has 10 business days to reconsider its decision and confirm or vary it. They must send you (or your representative) and the Tribunal a notice of that reconsideration.

If the decision is varied, you need to consider whether or not you want to accept the varied decision. If you accept it or if you are dissatisfied with the variation, you can contact your SAET Commissioner to talk about what will happen next. If you are represented, your representative will do this.

If the decision is confirmed, the dispute resolution process will begin.


Please obtain the relevant form(s) via the SAET Forms page.

Is there a cost?

There is no cost for lodging the application but there may be costs associated with being represented and you should discuss that with your representative.

Where can I find more information?

If you have further questions you can contact the SAET Registry.